About Me

I am a life coach working with people who suffer from depression. My own personal success story about overcoming major depression has inspired me to share my story with others -- my first-hand knowledge of depression, coping strategies, management, and treatments. I believe that someone suffering from depression can benefit tremendously from self-inquiry, psychotherapy and practicing mindfulness. I have a degree from Hunter College where I majored in cultural anthropology. Thus, I have a deep respect for and awareness of each one's cultural background.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Look at the Bright Spot?

I learned something valuable today from someone at a depression meetup I attended.  This is what I learned:  If you have a bright spot in your life right now, in the middle of your depression, focus on it as if it were the only thing that was important in your life.  Focus on it, no matter how insignificant it may seem.  It could be a dance class that you attend once a week, or your pet puppy that keeps you on your toes.  Whatever that bright spot is, value it with all your heart.  It may seem useless to others, but it doesn't matter, because you know how it makes you feel.  Once you start paying more attention to that bright spot, you'll remember it more, and that bright spot will grow brighter and brighter, bigger and bigger.  For someone else, she said she likes watching documentaries about crimes, because it makes her feel that she's not the only one who has a twisted life experience.  For some people, that would sound weird and something you wouldn't recommend.  But don't judge that bright spot.  It comes in all shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment