About Me

I am a life coach working with people who suffer from depression. My own personal success story about overcoming major depression has inspired me to share my story with others -- my first-hand knowledge of depression, coping strategies, management, and treatments. I believe that someone suffering from depression can benefit tremendously from self-inquiry, psychotherapy and practicing mindfulness. I have a degree from Hunter College where I majored in cultural anthropology. Thus, I have a deep respect for and awareness of each one's cultural background.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

I can't be happy, unless my nose is perfect, ...

I know people who say:  I can't be happy, unless my mother loves me, unless I find prince charming, unless I have a lot of money, unless my nose is perfect, etc.  This is like putting myself in a box.  So I ask: Why limit happiness to one single thing?  I think that by exploring other things that make us feel good, we can become more healthy emotionally.  Many times, we don't really notice the moments or situations that make us happy, because they are momentary, and because we want to brush it aside so we can focus on that one thing only, which is:  I need to have a promotion, I need to look good, I have to be beautiful, I have to be intelligent, I have to be a snob, I have to be hardworking, I need my nose fixed, etc.  If I suddenly feel good about something, whether it's the perfectly tasting latte, or that great movie, or that cool air that was suddenly refreshing -- I want to stop for a moment or for a whole day and think how good that felt.  It was only a latte, only a movie, only cool air, but it made me feel good and woke me up from thinking.  Feel how something so "insignificant" in your life, had the power to make you stop and forget your troubles.  It's those moments that I want to explore and look for and think about, because they're just right outside my doorstep.

1 comment: