About Me

I am a life coach working with people who suffer from depression. My own personal success story about overcoming major depression has inspired me to share my story with others -- my first-hand knowledge of depression, coping strategies, management, and treatments. I believe that someone suffering from depression can benefit tremendously from self-inquiry, psychotherapy and practicing mindfulness. I have a degree from Hunter College where I majored in cultural anthropology. Thus, I have a deep respect for and awareness of each one's cultural background.

Friday, April 26, 2013

It's OK to be Depressed

I learned something new last Monday from my meetup in NYC.  I learned that it is totally okay to be depressed.  It doesn't mean you will not try to be happier, but don't beat yourself up in the process.  Many people do not like to hear from depressed individuals.  But who cares what others think?  The important thing is that you love yourself no matter what, whether you are depressed or not.  Depression is a reality that many are experiencing.  It's part of life. 

It is harder to be at peace if you are judging the depression.  Do not try to push it away.  Instead, get to know your depression.  Question the thoughts or beliefs that make you suffer.  Is it true?  Are you absolutely sure it's true?  I learned these questions from The Work of Byron Katie.  We have so many negative thoughts that we are not aware of, that make us depressed.  Some negative thoughts are:  "it's bad that it's raining," "parents should love their children," "war is bad," etc.  Questioning these petty thoughts can bring so much relief.  Question these thoughts one by one and the mind will gradually or even magically heal itself.  Do it for yourself, not for others.  Go to thework.com to find out about the 4 basic questions to do inquiry, or email me for the information.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment