About Me

I am a life coach working with people who suffer from depression. My own personal success story about overcoming major depression has inspired me to share my story with others -- my first-hand knowledge of depression, coping strategies, management, and treatments. I believe that someone suffering from depression can benefit tremendously from self-inquiry, psychotherapy and practicing mindfulness. I have a degree from Hunter College where I majored in cultural anthropology. Thus, I have a deep respect for and awareness of each one's cultural background.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Too young to realize...that I should have brought you flowers

I love this Bruno Mars song.  It inspired me to talk about it, thinking about the period in my life when I didn't realize much.  I have the tendency to beat myself up for not knowing any better.  I spend hours and days doing this, as if it were just a matter of forgetfulness or not paying attention.  But in reality, there are periods in our lives when we really don't know any better, for so many reasons.  No matter how hard we try to figure things out, the doors to our mind and heart are closed.  As a teenager and even when I was 40 years old, I was literally "clueless."  I just did what my parents told me to do or I just copied what my older sister did.  I was not awake.  I was like sleep-walking throughout my younger life.  It never occurred to me that I could direct my life on my own, as an adult.  But life eventually wakes you up from your slumber.  One time, I heard my boss tell this young woman:  "I could see yourself as a successful woman in corporate America someday."  For some reason, that woke me up.  So I decided that I would work in a corporation, and see what the big deal was all about.  I got really psyched.  Of course, no matter how misdirected the thought may have been, it opened my eyes to something different in life.  There were signs of life in me.  The pot was being stirred.

What I learned from this Bruno Mars song is this: don't cry over spilled milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment