About Me

I am a life coach working with people who suffer from depression. My own personal success story about overcoming major depression has inspired me to share my story with others -- my first-hand knowledge of depression, coping strategies, management, and treatments. I believe that someone suffering from depression can benefit tremendously from self-inquiry, psychotherapy and practicing mindfulness. I have a degree from Hunter College where I majored in cultural anthropology. Thus, I have a deep respect for and awareness of each one's cultural background.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Assimilating or Differentiating?


Others look successful, happier.  You feel bad about yourself.  That's human nature.  We are vulnerable to the people, places and sounds in our environment.  We respond emotionally.  That's just human nature.  The vulnerability is there if we don't have a strong sense of Self.  I don't mean being defiant or militant.  I mean knowing deep inside you that you love You.  I mean being deeply connected to the Knower in you.  I mean relying on your own knowing.  I mean letting your Inner Child loose to play, roam around, and be fascinated, instead of being vulnerable to the visuals and the sounds, touch and smell of society.

When you wish to assimilate in society, understand what you are giving up of your Self, and the extent of it.    Don't renounce your Free Spirit in order to function effectively in the so called culture that is prevailing.  Celebrate originality.  Don't you feel better when you have your back?  But there is something to be said about blending in.  It's good to be on the same page for the sake of communication and understanding.  And some discretion may be required to avoid conflagrations and violence...if it's worth it.  

You don't feel good about yourself if somebody doesn't love you, because the Self is vulnerable when you don't nurture it.  It's like having a relationship.  The Self gets stronger when you get to know it and pay attention to it.  The bond becomes stronger and you are able to flex the Self.  Likewise, if somebody likes you, you are vulnerable too, because you are depending on society's love and respect...instead of relying on your Self-love and Self-respect.  Society is about depending on the external. That's the way it is right now.  That's why we suffer.

Don't you feel better when you have your back?  When you can rely on yourself during good times and tough times?  When you are accosted, show compassion and understanding.  But I don't need to even say that because the Self is compassion and love.  I'll end with that thought...Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment